Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Knitting Daily TV

Alex and I spent a good part of our weekend watching previews of the new Knitting Daily TV show that will soon be airing on PBS. It's really well done and is chock full of information about yarns, knitting, crocheting and designs.

We appear on a bunch of episodes. When I say "we" I mean "me." Alex made me go on the show even though I hate being in front of a camera so much that I didn't even have a photographer at my wedding. (Alex didn't mind. He didn't want any evidence that could later be used against him in court.)

Anyway, we're really excited about the debut of the show. But now that I've seen myself on TV I have to reconcile myself to the fact that:

1. Yes, I should have shed one or two pounds before the shoot. The camera adds 15 pounds even those the techie guys at the studio told me it's the curvature of the TV screen that does it and with my flat-screen TV I'll look my regular weight. Ha!
2. The human nose actually does continue to grow throughout your life.
3. There are certain colors I shouldn't wear.
4. I really do use the word "lovely" a lot.

I'm now getting prepared for Knitting Daily TV Part Deux. And do you know the first thing I've done to prepare myself? No. I haven't gone on a diet. I've invited Jan to replace me on most of the episodes!

2 comments:

madonnaearth said...

You are my new hero, being the first person I ever heard of who refused to have a photographer at their wedding. I often feel that way about taking pictures. I only have one driver's license picture that I thought came out good, and one photo that I liked. In every other photo past the age of 12, I look drunk, crazy or ill.

If I ever get married, I intend to go to a justice of the peace to get married, and just have a huge party afterward. No formal clothing for the guests, no flash bulbs, just blue jeans, great food and good times!

Deborah Knight said...

I'm so happy to know there are two of us! I should post my driver's licence photo for you. I'm so uncomfortable that I look like Hugh Grant when he got caught with the hooker.

Here's the worst part: Alex loves to take photos. He'll take photos of anything...and he especially loves to take photos of me when I'm not looking. (I swear to God, he has a gallery of photos of me leaving bathrooms. "This is Deb coming out of the bathroom at the Pumpkin Festival in Circleville. This one is Deb coming out of the bathroom at Windsor Castle. And here's Deb coming out of the bathroom in Banff, Alberta."

He got a new digital camera a while back and just about everytime I turned around I heard that annoying electronic "click."

And then he'd put the pictures on the computer and send links to everyone I've ever met in my entire life!

As you probably know, the new digital cameras are absolutely cruel. Every wrinkle, spot, dark circle, and freckle is displayed in 8 gazillion DPI, crystal clear hideosity (if there is such a word, and I'm pretty sure there isn't).

After a few weeks, I finally made it absolutely clear to Alex, "If you don't stop taking pictures of me with the thing, it's going to cost you thousands of dollars in plastic surgery."

He stopped.

I'd suggest that if people want pictures of you at your wedding, you hand out sheets of paper and a box of Crayola Crayons to everyone as their arrive and tell them their drawings will become your Wedding Album.