Tuesday, September 16, 2008
September 16 Yarnmarket Bulletin
Jan has just released our September Bulletin. If you'd like to get onto our mail list, just fill out the subscription information.
Welcome to the September 2008 issue of the Yarnmarket Bulletin featuring new yarns from Noro, Filatura Di Crosa & the S. Charles Collezione plus new colors from Crystal Palace, Filatura & Rowan. In addition to wonderful new yarns & colors, we have fantastic ideas to help you and your favorite relatives & friends keep up with the trends of chunky knits & great colors for the fall & winter. And as always, we have added the new projects you crave to give your wardrobe extra pizzazz plus terrific new books, kits & tools to inspire you. So relax & enjoy this quick overview of what we've added to the store since you received your copy of the September newsletter at the beginning of the month:
New Yarns & Colors from Filatura Di Crosa, S. Charles, Noro, Crystal Palace & Rowan
This month we've added fabulous new yarn options you'll want to experience first hand. From Filatura Di Crosa we have two new additions to share with you. First, when you add supersoft alpaca to sensational wool with just a touch of acrylic, the result is velvety Aliseo. And not only is this worsted-weight beauty so, so soft, it's dyed to create a subtle striping effect with tonal color shifts in solids & heathered tweeds.
Then just imagine what you get when you mix wool, cashmere & angora with a bit of acrylic and nylon -- sensationally trendy Balu. Available in both neutral hues & funky animal prints, "Balu" is a terrific yarn when knitted or crocheted by itself in superb hats, scarves & more. Also great when used as a faux-fur trim for cuffs, collars & more. Then for ideas to use both of these new yarns check out the Filatura Di Crosa: Fall/Winter 2008 Collection, which includes 27 patterns for fall & winter.
Next, when you crave extra softness with your wool plus added strength & durability, explore the supple lines of Karma from the S. Charles Collezione. With a lovely addition of angora & nylon to this wool blend, "Karma" gives you sensational loft & an airy halo effect. Constructed as a fabulous woven chainette, this yarn has a great stitch definition & drape in all your quick-to-create, chunky knitting & crochet projects and is featured in several of the 18 designs included in the new S. Charles: Fall/Winter 2008 booklet.
Then Noro's amazing Maiko is a luxurious blend of 35% silk, 25% wool and 30% kid mohair. Soft to the touch, Noro's "Maiko" knits up into easy-to-wear garments that look as great as they feel. Available in a bright palette of solid shades with a hint of tweedy highlights, this is a great addition to the Noro collection and continues the Yarnmarket commitment to carry every Noro yarn available in the U.S. And of course, we have in stock the pattern support you'll need once you fall in love with this yarn. Check out Jane Ellison's Noro Family for great project ideas too.
We've also received a variety of new colors in many of your favorite lines including:
• Almost double the color choices now in Yarnmarket's own Caledon Hills popular Worsted Wool yarn with 33 fantastic new shades recently added;
• From Crystal Palace, check out the new options in Kaya (121 & 128), Fjord Solid (4045), Fjord Print (0450 & 0453), Taos (21, 22, 23 & 24) & Panda Cotton Print (460, 461, 462 & 463);
• Then discover the newbies from Filatura Di Crosa in New Smoking (12, 13 & 14) & Zara Plus (405, 408 & 409);
• Plus take a peek at all the new hues in Rowan's Felted Tweed (170, 172, 166, 168, 165, 162, 171, 164 & 167).
Keep Up with Fashion Trends by Adding Chunky Knits & Fab Colors to Your Wardrobe
As we mentioned in the September newsletter several weeks ago, we're all checking out the fall fashion trends & showcasing those ever-popular chunky knits along with added color to your wardrobe. Because of this resurgence of chunky knitwear & bright colors, we've added sensational new choices to the Women's Vests, Ponchos & Coats, Women's Pullovers, Shawls, Stoles & Wraps & Women's Cardigans departments. As usual, we've included more Baby & Kid's Stuff too, so this month check out our hot staff picks to add color, panache & comfort to your life:
• First off, we love the updated classics from Rowan knitwear designer Sarah Hatton, and she shows her exquisite fashion sense in the Colourscape Glow Pullover. Taking lovely advantage of Kaffe Fassett's spectacular, self-striping Colourscape Chunky yarn, this pullover goes from a simple mock turtleneck to a trendy addition to your fall & winter wardrobe.
• Another great example of chunky knitwear is the marvelous Faux Fur Vest from Filatura Di Crosa designer Rosemary Drysdale. With the main body in chunky, furry Balu accented by trim in soft Aliseo, this straight-line vest is great worn with slacks, jeans & even a casual skirt. Also check out the sensational ribbed accents at the hem & collar plus the innovative front placket with toggle buttons.
• Then that special little girl in your life will enjoy keeping with the latest fashions too, and we've added several fun children's projects featuring the chunky, chenille wonder Plush by Berroco. One of our new faves -- the Plush Patsy Hooded Poncho -- will keep her in style & comfy with its faux fur look. Then the Plush Jo Jumper has great trim & use of buttons for a terrific layering option year round. Also the Plush Hooded Baby Jacket has those trendy toggle buttons plus it's a quick knit & a great gift idea. And remember -- you can also make any of these little project gems in variegated Plush Colors instead of solid-hued "Plush" as shown.
• Last but certainly not least comes a fabulous sock project from Noro designer Jane Ellison. Maiko Hepworth Socks provide a basic sock pattern transformed by soft Maiko yarn from Noro. Also the stripes & color accents for the toe, heel & cuff are very effective plus the added length gives you more style versatility. Wear with turned down cuffs & that wonderful slouchy, casual look as shown or stretch them to their full length & have almost knee-highs.
Enjoy New Tools, Scarf Kits & Circular Needles Now in Stock for Knitters & Crocheters
Lantern Moon Blonde Destiny Circular Needles
This month we've received new goodies for our Tools & Accessories, Kits & Needles areas. First off, now you can continue your favorite craft in low light or even in the dark with the Knit Light clipped on your shirt, blouse, pocket, collar or placket. And you won't disturb others with this bright white light that highlights a small area that's large enough to see your needles or hook plus the work in progress. Also includes a carrying case, adjustable, flexible neck, & magnetic base to mount unit on metal surface. Even has a red laser pointer that can be used in presentations. Great gift idea for knitters & crocheters. Available in two colors -- blue or red base for the light. Also comes with three batteries, but for back-ups, check out the Knit Light Replacement Batteries.
Then the Lantern Moon Blonde Destiny Circular Needles are made from the same Vietnamese hardwood highly prized for its straight grain as are their lovely straight knitting needles. The wood is a beautiful, light blonde color and extremely hard & durable but very light and warm to handle. All of these handcrafted needles have a brass connection that's machined, honed & polished with the needles to create a virtually seamless connection and that swivels at the base of the needles to avoid kinks. Also the nylon cord uncoils easily, stays relaxed & is tinted for improved visibility.
One more new item -- from Artyarns take a look at the stunning Kaleidoscope Cashmere Crochet Scarf Kit. Using luxurious, laceweight "Cashmere 1" yarn, Artyarns designer Sharon Sorken has created this lovely crocheted scarf kit. Building on the ever-popular retro look of granny squares, Sharon has designed this terrific collection of interconnecting granny "circles" in a superb range of 11 contrasting solid hues. Available in two colorways: Jewels or Pastels as shown.
Our expansive Books and Patterns department is the place to check when you're looking for inspiration to choose your next project. This month we've added new books we know you won't want to miss. To begin, you'll want to check out Bouton d'Or Layette & Enfant #18. To support this wonderful collection of 64 patterns for babies and children, we've added yarns to our Anny Blatt and Bouton d'Or collections to showcase selected projects from the book. Currently we are carrying only the featured colors from each new yarn, but all the colors are available by special order with no minimum number of balls required. Right now we have 8 of the 64 projects highlighted with more to come soon.
Then take a look at Debbie Bliss: Essential Knits for Kids. Offering 20 adorable new patterns for children ages 2-5 years old, all are created with beautiful Debbie Bliss yarn such as Baby Cashmerino and Rialto Aran. Patterns include tops, pullovers, a blanket, a doll and much more.
Never Not Knitting -2009 Desk Calendar
Plus here's a selection of other new books we've received the past few weeks:
• Find a collection of 15 patterns for Tahki's fall & winter tweed yarns in Tahki: Tweed Collection 2nd Ed.;
• Never Not Knitting - 2009 Desk Calendar features 365 days of wit and wisdom from the self-proclaimed "Yarn Harlot," Stephanie Pearl-McPhee;
• Skein for Skein includes 16 knitted projects with dos and don'ts of yarn substitution;
• You'll find everything you need to know to begin felting including several projects to get you started in Start to Felt;
• Tag, You're Knit includes 26 colorful knitted accessories kids will love;
• Learn to knit with the more than 30 cool, easy patterns found in Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting;
• Custom Knits, a unique and fascinating book, provides a wealth of information on rose-pattern knitting in Iceland plus a feast of ideas on how to apply traditional Icelandic techniques to colorful, contemporary designs;
• Lace Knitting to Go includes 25 hip and modern pattern designs on cards perfect for throwing into your knitting bag; and
• Beyond the Square: Crochet Motifs offers 144 circles, hexagons, triangles, squares and other unexpected shapes to use in your designs.
Always New Arrivals to Come Plus Great Projects Even Better the Second Time Around
As usually happens when we're finishing up the bulletin each month, our Receiving Manager has given us a preview of all the new products she's heard will be arriving soon. We've just learned that within the next few weeks we'll be enhancing our yarn collection with new yarns & colors from some of your favorite yarn companies such as Rowan, Gedifra, South West, Debbie Bliss and Artyarns. We'll also be adding two new yarn companies in the upcoming month, so keep watching the "What's New" column on the Home Page for all the latest releases.
And we do appreciate how much you've been enjoying our showcase of outstanding projects from past fall seasons, so as you've requested, we're again featuring in this issue popular projects we recommend for a second look. They've remained popular since being introduced, but with well over 2000 Project Ideas now available at Yarnmarket, we understand the challenge of finding the best options for you & your favorite friends & relatives. So check out the four we're featuring this issue for women & precious wee ones:
• To start us off with those bright colors for fall, we have the Silk Garden Lite V-Neck Vest. Designed exclusively for Silk Garden Lite by Noro, this pullover sweater vest with the deep V neckline is a sensational layering option all fall, winter & spring. Just select your favorite color combo in self-striping "Silk Garden Lite," and you can get started on this lovely right away! A great project for Intermediate knitters looking for different kinds of stitches to learn.
• Then another marvelous sweater project for your fall pullover collection is the innovative Jane's Pearls Pullover from Twisted Sisters. This little number gives you the quintessential sweater girl look of the 1940s & '50s in a soft, romantic pullover. It superbly combines the textures & hues of their Zazu & Lust yarns. Then with its knitted-on beads at the neck & sleeve bands, you have the perfect finishing touches to set off the contoured, feminine shaping.
• Of course, you can also add sensational pizzazz & color to your wardrobe with one of the luscious, large handbags now on the scene, and we recommend the oh-so-spectacular Zoom Felted Peruvia Bag from Berroco. Using an animal-print design, you can craft this superb bag from your favorite three colors of terrifically feltable Peruvia and have your own little "pet" in no time. (Is the one shown a zebra? Or the rare white tiger?) Also makes a sensational gift for your special friends & family members.
• And since we know how much you enjoy creating outfits for the babies & children in your life, we have lots of project ideas in our Baby & Kid's Stuff department too with over 400 projects available now. Baby blankets remain popular baby gifts, so just imagine your favorite little one cuddled up in the adorable Fleece Rubber Ducky Blanket from Knit One, Crochet Too. Themed to go with the traditional "rubber ducky" at bath time, we bet this design becomes your precious child's best blankie for carrying around the house too.
Stay Current with the Latest Yarnmarket Sales Available at BargainYARNS.com
As we've been reminding you lately, our Yarnmarket sale website -- BargainYARNS -- is definitely the website to check for terrific deals especially on yarn, books, needles & accessories. From sensational Yarn Bargains available at up to 50% off the suggested retail price to Imperfect Books at significant price reductions, BargainYARNS is the place to get the sales & discounts you crave. But remember -- all items listed today on BargainYARNS are available in limited quantities as discontinued items, as mill ends or as special offers, so when you see something you like, buy it immediately and in sufficient quantity for your project because it could be sold out later the same day.
Now even though we know you like to browse for yourself, here are our staff recommendations for September:
• First, take a look at the new additions from Crystal Palace -- Meringue Solid & Meringue Print. A wonderful combination of hand-dyed thick & thin yarn encircled by two criss-crossing metallic threads, this wool blend is available in a fabulous array of colors. Plus print out the free Meringue Baby Blanket to get you started with this great yarn.
• Next you won't want to miss out on Cherry Tree Hill's beautiful Jumbo Loop Mohair. A beautifully hand-painted, 100% mohair boucle yarn from Cherry Tree Hill, "Jumbo Loop Mohair" comes in a generous hank with 185 yards and a vast array of color combos. And check out the Jumbo Loop Mohair Throw. Knit on the diagonal using the seed stitch, this thick throw is recommended for the beginner and beyond. Measuring approximately 46"x56" (excluding fringe), you need 4 hanks of Cherry Tree Hill's lovely hand-dyed "Jumbo Loop Mohair" to complete the project.
• Finally, be sure to take advantage of the incredible price reductions on Malva from Filatura Di Crosa now that it's moved from Yarnmarket to BargainYARNS. Constructed of a super lightweight netting threaded through with single strands of variegated color, "Malva" is sure to become your favorite supersoft, lightweight ribbon option.
And as always, Happy Knitting!
Your Yarnmarket Knitting Store Staff
Posted by Deborah Knight at 1:12 PM